Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Comfy Cozy

Currently Reading: Daughters of the Witching Hill by Mary Sharratt

As the weather turns colder and the leaves begin swirling down to the ground below, my thoughts often turn to feelings of "coziness." I'm sure I'm not the only one who loves to envision all of the little things that make me feel cozy, warm, and snuggly: mugs of tea or lattes with steam gently floating upwards; warm, over-large fleece blankets; snuggling with my husband and kitty; hot baths; crackling fires in the fireplace; hot bowls of homemade soup and bread; and curling up on the couch or in bed with a great book.
What is cozier than a cat amid books?
What is it about books that give us that "comfy" feeling? Is it because reading is not only a mental experience, but also a physical one? Is it because our souls squirm with pleasure at the thought of a long afternoon with a beloved book? Is it because licking our fingers, turning the pages, cracking the spines, and smelling the ink of a book is so satisfying? Perhaps it's all of these things.


Both the idea and act of reading provides me with a sense of calm, of balance, and of warmth. Reading is a full-body experience that I look forward to with pleasure. I am complete when I am buried in a book, nestled in a squishy couch and a soft blanket, with a mug of something warm by my side.  It's even better when I can sit near a window and gaze out at the world occasionally, especially if it is cold, snowy, windy, or rainy outside. My "cozy" factor is enhanced by the contrast of a cold and raging natural world just beyond the window. Granted, I don't save reading for those cozy moments alone. I read whenever and wherever I can- in the waiting room, before work, while cooking, and even while walking around. Yet I don't think it is a coincidence that the saying goes "curling up with a good book." With a book in hand, I cannot stave off the overwhelming urge to snuggle and cozy up to it, loving it in my own special way and giving my soul another dose of "happy." Maybe the only way to truly enjoy a book and wholeheartedly engage in the sacred art of reading, is to literally curl up with one's book.

Have a great week.... now go find a book to cuddle with! :)

2 comments:

Share your thoughts!

Keep On Reading...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...