Friday, October 14, 2011

friday poetry slam: happy birthday, e.e. cummings!

Currently Reading: Daughters of the Witching Hill by Mary Sharratt
Happy Friday! In honor of e.e. cummings' birthday today, I am posting 
one of my favorite poems of his. The beautiful thing about cummings' 
poetry is that it can mean different things to different people. His poetry 
is full of images and metaphors and words that flow like water over rocks. 
This is what I love about him. 
 
P.S. Another wonderful celebration today that gives me shivers of 
happiness: 180 years ago today, my 5th great-grandparents, Rebecca 
Whittome and Robert Driver were married at St. Margaret's Church
in Hilgay, Norfolk, England. Happy Anniversary to my ancestors! 
In fact, upon rereading this poem, I realize that it is quite appropriate 
for this occasion as well. 
St. Margaret's Church, Hilgay, Norfolk, England
if there are any heavens my mother will(all by herself)have
one.  It will not be a pansy heaven nor
a fragile heaven of lilies-of-the-valley but
it will be a heaven of blackred roses

my father will be(deep like a rose
tall like a rose)

standing near my

(swaying over her
silent)
with eyes which are really petals and see

nothing with the face of a poet really which
is a flower and not a face with
hands
which whisper
This is my beloved my

            (suddenly in sunlight

he will bow,

& the whole garden will bow)

5 comments:

  1. Dear Jillian22,
    My laptop must have healed itself for I am now able to post comments (huzzah!) I just wanted to let you know that I love your blog: your taste in literature is truly wonderful and your insight is like the texture of a plush fabric. Please keep it up.....you are making a difference in my life!
    Always,
    E.J.G.W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Emily J.G. Wilmott,
    Thank you so much! I'm glad you are finally able to comment and I appreciate that you read my blog so devotedly! You have always been an inspiration to me as a reader and a writer. I'll have another post ready for you tonight!
    Always,
    Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  3. This peom made me tear up thinking of those long ago people that are our family. I can't wait to meet them one day when we too are in our gardens of heaven. <3

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts!

Keep On Reading...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...